Friday, December 03, 2004

Ta Da!

Well yesterday I started typing the proceedings of my defense but then did something to make it all disappear so will have to do it again.

My presentation went well - had friends close to the front supporting me by - telling me not to flash people (was playing with my shirt - nervous fiddling - before it was time to start) and holding up a little sign that only I could see that said rat killer. Funny things helped relieve tension and thankfully not heard or seen by others... I was nervous in the beginning of the talk but got better as it went although still used the two handed laser pointer technique to keep it from flying all over the screen. Questions went ok - my major prof actually helped answer a couple which made me feel as if it was cheating but it helped me out. After questions people told me I did well got advice from one of the prof's not on my committee - said to take a deep breath before I went in to the defense part and to pause for a couple of seconds before each question to let panic fade. We started with prayer then my major prof (mp) said they would go around the table and ask questions. She reserved the right for the first question - she had told me what she was going to ask ahead of time so that I could make sure to know the answer and get a good start to it all... after her question the next committee member asked and easy one since hers was difficult - evidently not knowing her practice of telling people the first question they will be asked. So easy question good - next question was ok - I don't remember what it was... each committee has three bio people a mp and to others then one out side observer that makes sure they don't gang up on me. He didn't ask many questions but did ask a couple that were good. The second or third one he said he thought that if he could explain my work then that would mean he could understand it. So he tried to explain it to his JV basket ball students (think they are high schoolers). They evidently got upset by animals getting killed - and they wanted to know if they all go used/killed. The answer to his question was yes - all except one was used for screening. They kept going for about an hour some questions I knew the answer to others I didn't but wasn't feeling too horrible. They also made comments here and there about my thesis - no one objected to anything of significance so that was ok. They kicked me out of the room told me to leave but don't go to far. My friend who defended this summer only had to wait ~5 min. So in talking to her said that the longer I wait the more I should get nervous? she said maybe... so I was waiting and it had been about 10 min... then one of my friends stopped by and talked for about 5 min then I waited more. After he left I got really nervous but then after about a total of 25 min my mp came back and said "Let me be the first to congratulate you." Which was a relief went back down to the room and they all said congratulations - my outside observer said "should we clap?" and started clapping others joined - he said thank you for asking him I think it was cool he liked being part of it. At the end my mp and I made an appointment to meat the next Friday (today) to go over little things they suggested needed to be changed. After that I felt drained but I lived through the process - I then told people the happy news and eventually went home and sat. While my roommate kept saying how happy she was - she acted way more happy than me I just didn't have the mental capacity to be that happy. Too much for one day. But now it's over and I only have a few things to change - less than 42 ;) probably less than 20. Well depends on how you count anyway that's the whole story for the most part :).

3 Comments:

Blogger k2h said...

YAY!!!.... I'm so happy for you. I could just feel the tension reading through that and it reminded me alot of the interview I did to get my current job. I like the seeded question thing. when I've been helping people do presentations that I will be part of the pannel or audience i've offered to seed questions to make it go smoother so that was nice of your adviser dude/dudette?

about the flashing..... I wish I coulda seen that. that would have made it the best defence ever. almost like a nevada defence.

your a RAT KILLER?!! oh my.... hows that fit in with the adventist ethics system? did you have to defend it from that perspective? I think its ok to kill rats as long as you eat them =)

i'm happy for you.. if you find a job in jens/my neck of the woods you can 'rent' the front bedroom!

8:06 PM  
Blogger k2h said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i always wonder what they (the committee people) are doing... i mean if they honestly thought that you didn't do a good job then that would mean they thought the paper sucked so wouldn't they tell you before? i think they start talking and get going and forget that they are in the room to pass you! really annoying =).

i wish: 1. i had cool friends that would hold up signs at my defense 2. my committee prayed 3. my mp seeded a question

cool deal for you all the way around, even if it was nerve racking.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home