Monday, September 19, 2005

New Schedule

Today I had to be to work by 7:30. I made it by 7:15 - took me just about an hour. I wasn't sure how it would work with the traffic that time of the morning. I don't see why so many people go to work that early. Usually the first part of I-5 is clear and it doesn't slow till Boeing field. Well evidently traffic is in different areas that early in the morning. As soon as I got on I-5 it was packed. It kept moving but never that fast. Was happy to know it still only took me an hour. I think I will definitely have to check into the bus system. Quite sure I'd save money - no gas... I will have to wait a little while - till I get paid. Which will happen this week! Planning on going to Spaghetti Factory to celebrate on Friday. Two good things about my schedule are that I get home by 5 or so, and I get to see my roommate when she takes her lunch/supper in the evening. My previous schedule did not allow that. I'd get home ~7:15 and she would already have had lunch.

Today I leaned a bit about the first steps in the process of coating the plates with proteins. We had to weigh protein from different foods. If you have ever had to deal with weighing powders and the fun part of static - that's what I got to deal with. It seemed really bad today too. Maybe it will be better tomorrow. Basic process from what I understand so far is that we purify the protein then determine how much is there using the Lowery method. Then based on that we make solutions to the optimal concentration to be put in the wells of plates so that they can then be used for testing whether or not someone's serum contains antibodies for those proteins.
One bad thing is that they do this about once a year and evidently who ever did it last year didn't note when the finished off a bottle of protein so we are missing quite a few and will have to wait for them to come in. We can continue on with other ones but if they don't come in in a timely manner t won't be a good thing. We only have about 2 months worth of proteins to coat plates. We are keeping good track of which ones are low or used up this time. :) My supervisor thinks it will take us a month to get it all done so going by what she says we should be fine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hopefully the mass transit system there is better than in reno...
i hate weighing stuff with static. static with the plastic weigh boat...static from the latex gloves...static with some parts of the balance. ugh. we have a radioactive brush that helps with the static. you just brush the boat before you use it. at first i thought it was a joke, but it actually helps.

7:55 AM  
Blogger forkev said...

35$ in gas last night for me. I yelled at the pump that it should just print a reciept with the title 'screw you'

7:53 AM  
Blogger k2h said...

I payed about 40$ to fill my tank. lucky for me its still pulling over 700 miles / tank.

my car just stopped. you drive along and the engine turns itself off (when your doing 55 or whatever). I'm hoping its a bad relay, but i'm way to tired to try and find it so i'm just driving it and pulling over when it does it. its started back up every time, but you have to come a complete stop, remove the key, wait a sec and then start again.

so.. I guess that was a vote for you to take the mass transit. I rode the bus in denver. it wasn't a bad time, and I didn't meet to many scarries on the bus. most were hard working people looking for a ride. alot had suits on. i'm not sure what you area is like but you may be surprised by the caliber of people on the bus.

we run out of chemicals and material all the time here. I say it was the persons fault for not telling their boss when they ran out, but it was managmeents fault for not checking on material before they assigned the pojrct to you. if its one thing humans are good at its passing the blame.

ona side note, I wrote a review for one of my bosses (he's applying for an upity-up position) and i said "passes blame, accepts praise" that sums up alot of managers.

when you said proteins I was thinking it would be a liquid or something (cause of that oriental amino acid tasty stuff you can buy in the oriental sectino of the store, thats a liquid) but you said its a powder. weird. dried muscle.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home